A World-Class Piedmont Estate
Designed by starchitect Albert Farr in the 1920's, this iconic Italianate Mediterranean architectural masterpiece is in the idyllic enclave of Piedmont- known at the time as "The City of Millionaires", home to a number of industrial tycoons of the era. Today, the City is now strategically located in the midst of the booming 21st century San Francisco Bay Area/ Silicon Valley complex, with good access to world-class technology, financial and cultural centers, as well as two international airports.
Nearly 100 years after it's construction, this exquisite estate maintains is stately presence with major renovations over time creating a seamless blend of timeless luxury and historical grandeur. The high, soaring ceilings, grandly-proportioned rooms, glamorous detailing and fabulous indoor-outdoor spaces are wonderfully suited to grand-scale entertaining, as well as a contemporary relaxed California lifestyle..
- 7 bedrooms, 9.5 baths
- Formal dining room, library, family room, bar area, eat-in kitchen, playroom, office, game/ media room, plus a ballroom-sized living room with terrace
- Guest quarters downstairs with separate entrance
- Separate guest cottage
- 10,153 square feet per appraisal, including lower level and guest cottage
- ~ 1.13 acre lot
- Beautifully landscaped gardens with veranda, lawns, brick patio, fountain, statuary and tennis court- serviced by a well on the property
- Alarm system
- 2 car side by side attached garage, 2 car detached garage with car charger, plus 2 car additional parking in the courtyard as well as multiple parking in the circular driveway
- Designed by starchitect of the era Albert Farr in 1926
- Major renovations over nearly a century have included a 1984 redo by internationally renowned designer Anthony Hail of Architectural Digest fame
- Featured in Architectural Digest, Town & Country Magazine, Sunset Magazine
- Piedmont Decorator Showcase Home
- First Place in the California Landscape Design Large Residential Category
- The elegant simplicity and symmetry of the classic facade is reminiscent of the French Riviera. The impressive arched entrance doorway is topped with exquisite ornamentation and capped by two urns at the roof line.
- The bright and airy entrance salon is open to the garden, as are the living room, library/ family room and bar - providing a warmly welcoming entrance to the indoor-outdoor flow of the home. French doors lead directly to a stunning stone terrace with colonnade and beautiful outlooks toward the lush landscaping and lawns.
- The elegantly proportioned living room features gorgeous moldings and beams, woodburning fireplace with spectacular marble surround, and floor to ceiling French doors leading to a terrace.
- Off the living room is a marvelous solarium with arched Palladian-style windows and marble flooring framing the lushly verdant outlooks
- The large library/ family room enjoys a gorgeous stone fireplace and three sets of floor to ceiling French doors leading to the garden.
- Off the family room/ library, garden and foyer is a bar area with sink, ice maker and fridge- perfect for indoor/ outdoor entertaining.
- The banquet-sized formal dining room features beamed ceiling and triple moldings.
- Chic powder room
- The large eat-in gourmet chef's kitchen features granite slab counters, stainless double door SubZero and a large cooking and eating island with commercial-sized hood. The bright and airy eating area leads out to a charming side patio. Off the kitchen is a spacious pantry and wine storage, and a butler's pantry which has an additional dishwasher and trash compacter.
- Laundry room with side by side washer dryer, workspace and cabinets.
- A lovely guest bedroom/ den with en suite bath and charming outlooks to the gardens.
- Mudroom area and tennis court bathroom.
- The elegantly-designed circular staircase leads to the upper level. Off the kitchen area is also a back staircase
- Beautifully landscaped and terraced gardens with lush greenery framing the tennis court, brick patio and veranda, lawns, water fountain, and statuary.
- At the far end of the garden is a raised Romanesque terrace with wall fountain, original street lamps from Copenhagen, and imported stone Chinese "Palace Foo Dogs"
- A gracious foyer leads into the grand master bedroom suite. Complete with sitting room, 18th Century fireplace, two Italian marble master baths, two master closets and terrace overlooking the garden, this is truly a sumptuous and luxurious retreat.
- Bright and airy family room with adjoining office and arched French doors leading to a balcony overlooking the gardens.
- Large linen and coat closets.
- Two charming bedrooms with en-suite baths
- Two more bedrooms with adjoining bath.
- Playroom with built-ins, desk area and wonderful greenery outlooks.
- Four large storage rooms, including one cedar-lined with built-ins
- 2,400 bottle wine cellar
- A fun entertainment / game room with wet bar and two French doors lead out to the colonnade terrazzo and patio.
-- Large marble bath
- Spacious guest bedroom with walk-in closet. Combined with the game room, bath and patio, this level also works well as separate living quarters with it's own entrance.
- The guest cottage studio has charming peaked ceilings, kitchenette, full bath, open living space and steps out to a lovely brick patio