A World-Class Piedmont Estate
This magnificent residence, a Piedmont landmark property, was designed by noted architect Albert Farr in 1926 in the classic Mediterranean style and is a remarkable product of the artisan talent and craftsmanship of the time. Exquisite period detailing is evident throughout. Sited on over one acre of expansive grounds, the home is enhanced by good natural light throughout, a signature of this architect, and is framed by lush, mature landscaping providing breathtaking vistas from all rooms. This is the first time this property has been on the market in nearly 25 years.
With distinctive and elegant architectural detail throughout the home, the glorious formal rooms are beautifully proportioned. The dramatic foyer is highlighted by a series of arched windows and a door overlooking the formal gardens; the grand living room with 12-ft ceilings, marble fireplace, layered crown moldings, and gracious windows is balanced by the sumptuous formal dining room across the foyer. The handsome, oversized library with fireplace opens to the gardens. Lovely remodeled kitchen with adjoining family room and staff quarters adjacent. A dramatic spiral staircase, crowned by leaded stained-glass skylight, leads to the upper level where there are five bedrooms and five baths, including the lavish master suite with marble fireplace and two separate baths. On this floor there is also a sitting room overlooking the gardens and a large playroom. Large game/media room, a private guest suite, a 2400-bottle temperature controlled wine room and generous storage complete the lower level. A separate, updated cottage with bath and kitchenette above the garage provides a versatile, private living space. At the entry, a circular drive leads to convenient guest parking; there is also four-car garaged parking, and a private parking court.
With over one acre of land, the home has a deep setback from the street for privacy, and the foyer levels out in back to magnificent grounds with mature plantings designed for year-round color, expansive lawns, fountain and a tennis court. There is a well on the property that provides water for the landscaping.
One of Piedmont’s finest properties -- stunning architecture on an extraordinary site!
- 7 bedrooms, 9.5 baths
- Formal dining room, library, family room, bar area, eat-in kitchen, playroom, office, game/ media room, plus a ballroom-sized living room with terrace
- Guest quarters downstairs with separate entrance
- Separate guest cottage
- 10,153 square feet per appraisal, including lower level and guest cottage
- ~ 1.13 acre lot
- Beautifully landscaped gardens with veranda, lawns, brick patio, fountain, statuary and tennis court- serviced by a well on the property
- Alarm system
- 2 car side by side attached garage, 2 car detached garage with car charger, plus 2 car additional parking in the courtyard as well as multiple parking in the circular driveway
- Designed by starchitect of the era Albert Farr in 1926
- Major renovations over nearly a century have included a 1984 redo by internationally renowned designer Anthony Hail of Architectural Digest fame
- Featured in Architectural Digest, Town & Country Magazine, Sunset Magazine
- Piedmont Decorator Showcase Home
- First Place in the California Landscape Design Large Residential Category
- The elegant simplicity and symmetry of the classic facade is reminiscent of the French Riviera. The impressive arched entrance doorway is topped with exquisite ornamentation and capped by two urns at the roof line.
- The bright and airy entrance salon is open to the garden, as are the living room, library/ family room and bar - providing a warmly welcoming entrance to the indoor-outdoor flow of the home. French doors lead directly to a stunning stone terrace with colonnade and beautiful outlooks toward the lush landscaping and lawns.
- The elegantly proportioned living room features gorgeous moldings and beams, woodburning fireplace with spectacular marble surround, and floor to ceiling French doors leading to a terrace.
- Off the living room is a marvelous solarium with arched Palladian-style windows and marble flooring framing the lushly verdant outlooks
- The large library/ family room enjoys a gorgeous stone fireplace and three sets of floor to ceiling French doors leading to the garden.
- Off the family room/ library, garden and foyer is a bar area with sink, ice maker and fridge- perfect for indoor/ outdoor entertaining.
- The banquet-sized formal dining room features beamed ceiling and triple moldings.
- Chic powder room
- The large eat-in gourmet chef's kitchen features granite slab counters, stainless double door SubZero and a large cooking and eating island with commercial-sized hood. The bright and airy eating area leads out to a charming side patio. Off the kitchen is a spacious pantry and wine storage, and a butler's pantry which has an additional dishwasher and trash compacter.
- Laundry room with side by side washer dryer, workspace and cabinets.
- A lovely guest bedroom/ den with en suite bath and charming outlooks to the gardens.
- Mudroom area and tennis court bathroom.
- The elegantly-designed circular staircase leads to the upper level. Off the kitchen area is also a back staircase
- Beautifully landscaped and terraced gardens with lush greenery framing the tennis court, brick patio and veranda, lawns, water fountain, and statuary.
- At the far end of the garden is a raised Romanesque terrace with wall fountain, original street lamps from Copenhagen, and imported stone Chinese "Palace Foo Dogs"
- A gracious foyer leads into the grand master bedroom suite. Complete with sitting room, 18th Century fireplace, two Italian marble master baths, two master closets and terrace overlooking the garden, this is truly a sumptuous and luxurious retreat.
- Bright and airy family room with adjoining office and arched French doors leading to a balcony overlooking the gardens.
- Large linen and coat closets.
- Two charming bedrooms with en-suite baths
- Two more bedrooms with adjoining bath.
- Playroom with built-ins, desk area and wonderful greenery outlooks.
- Four large storage rooms, including one cedar-lined with built-ins
- 2,400 bottle wine cellar
- A fun entertainment / game room with wet bar and two French doors lead out to the colonnade terrazzo and patio.
-- Large marble bath
- Spacious guest bedroom with walk-in closet. Combined with the game room, bath and patio, this level also works well as separate living quarters with it's own entrance.
- The guest cottage studio has charming peaked ceilings, kitchenette, full bath, open living space and steps out to a lovely brick patio